Mission & Philosophy
Ossining Children’s Center creates a foundation for children’s life-long learning, achievement and well-being by providing high quality educational child care, and by serving as a community resource and advocate for families.
A common foundation underlies our programs across age groups. Here are a few of the key tenets. If you would like to learn more about how our philosophy impacts the day-to-day experience of our students, click here to learn more about our Programs.
Hands-on learners = > Enthusiastic learners
We empower children to become enthusiastic and confident learners by immersing them in an environment of educational materials, enriching experiences and nurturing relationships with teachers and other students. Our curriculum teaches children how to learn, through:
- Hands-on discovery activities
- Arts and crafts
- Music and movement
- Child-initiated play
- Enrichment programs that engage our community’s educational services and natural resources
- And, especially, positive interaction with teacher-caregivers and one another
Child-centered = > Family-centered
While we are officially the Ossining Children’s Center, we like to think of ourselves as the “Ossining Center for Children and Families.” Just as we care for and educate our students, we strive to care for and support parents in their roles as the most important and influential teachers their children will ever have. We believe:
- There is no “one-size-fits-all” curriculum
- We give the individualized attention necessary for children — from infancy to middle school — to find and foster their own learning style.
- Each child is an individual, with a distinctive temperament and his or her own way of interacting with the world
- “Normal” comprises a broad spectrum of dispositions and rates of development
- A flexible curriculum enables our teacher-caregivers to support each child’s unique developmental path
We partner with parents to individualize our plan for each student, offering families both insight and input during the formative preschool and early school years.
Sense of community = > Sense of self
By acting as an extension of a child’s family and community, we nurture our youngsters’ sense of self and individuality. Our diversity of backgrounds enables our children to celebrate their similarities and differences and actively fosters their knowledge of and appreciation for other cultures. Within the broader community of county and state, we educate government leaders about the importance and effectiveness of high-quality educational and enrichment programs for children.
Child “care” = > Whole child education
Since our founding, we have viewed child care from an educational perspective, and have made it our mission to educate the “whole child” as an emotional, social, physical and intellectual being. At the same time, we provide loving, home-like care. Our developmentally staged program:
- Supports academic growth
- Promotes physical development
- Fosters social and peer interaction
- Enhances self-esteem and self-discipline
- Encourages creativity and self-expression
- Develops skills needed for the real world
We invite you to learn more about us:
Read about our individual Programs
Contact us for a conversation or a tour
Read about what’s been happening lately at our Center